Yesterday, after finally getting hold of all the equipment I needed to do so, I did my first ever all-grain (or full mash) brew. This was a Bavarian Wheat Beer, which I’ve named Wheat Kings after the Tragically Hip song! The whole process took about 6 or 7 hours, and I had to leave the wort to cool overnight. I’m going to try and get an immersion wort chiller before the next attempt. Things went okay, but not completely perfect. I made a few first timer mistakes, as expected, hopefully nothing major though. The main thing was that I only managed to get 15L of wort, when it should have been around 21/23L, lesson learnt here is to calculate what my losses will be in advance, and suss out the sparging process a bit better. I liquored back and ended up missing the target OG of 1048, it came out as 1043. I think this could turn out to be a bit thin, but time will tell.
My 3-tier set up, HLT starting to heat up:
Giving the grains a good mix:
Boil started and hops added:
Transferring to FV: